Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cap'n House Husband!?!


Well, you never know what life is going to throw you. After the Cap'n told the State of California where to stick it by selling his business, he know finds himself at a crossroads.


Once a Cap'n of Industry, it looks like he will now be Cap'n of the house for the next six to eight weeks as the wife goes back to work and my mother in law waits to retire.
What a weird turn of events.


Some background: After the business was sold, there was definitely work to be done selling equipment, cleaning buildings, selling inventory, etc. etc. etc. That took about a year, and was painfully sad as well as challenging. During that time I looked at other opportunities on the horizon.


The problem was that they were all in unrelated fields and there was really no opening for "37 year old ex-vice presidents" with 18 years experience in management, production, marketing, and sales. I was a jack of many trades but a true expert in none (except production).


Still, being that "A" type personality, I wanted to keep charging forward and have absolutely zero downtime. BIG MISTAKE!!!


In doing so I jumped into a start up during a recession/depression while at the same time trying to shorten a learning curve by about 10 months. Now, I have never quit anything in my life. No matter how bad I get beaten, I am too stubborn to walk away a loser. I always figured the difference between a quitter and a loser was in the spelling.


I am however starting to change my mind as my perspective has changed. Why? My kids.


After having a beautiful set of twins, my personality changed on the spot. My anger (which fueled my success) was gone. My impatience had waned. My overall want to destroy every obstacle in my way had dissipated.


In a word, I was "anew".


Don't get me wrong, the Cap'n loves money...but he has money. What he is missing now is the logical next step in his progression. For most people, CEO/President/VP is the culmination of a career..That was done by age 32....now what?????


Well, for the next eight weeks it is this:

And I tell you, I am psyched.
I really think this time will allow me to get my thoughts together and look at the future in the right frame of mind. Although I have definite fears about current goings on in our state and in D.C., there is always the optimism of and for youth which I see every morning.
I'll also get to see a little of this:





-The Cap'n

No comments: